Latest News

Dr. Molly Fisher with Carl Edwards

Last January, a sports writer contacted Dr. Molly Fisher – a College of Education faculty member – with questions about a NASCAR piece he was writing. That conversation resulted in the opportunity of a lifetime for Fisher, an assistant professor of mathematics education in the UK College of Education’s Department of STEM Education.

Fisher has taught workshops for teachers in North Carolina and Kentucky that share strategies for bringing the NASCAR sport into middle and secondary mathematics classes.  Matt Crossman, writing for www.sportsonearth.com, wanted to get Fisher’s thoughts on a “flawed” NASCAR point system, as he was interested in writing an article with alternate point systems.

“He was consulting with four math-minded professionals who had an interest in the sport,” Fisher said. “So, I helped out with my thoughts and the article went out on sportsonearth.com (http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67122818/four-math-and-racing-experts-devise-nascar-points-plans#!ba9fw4).  Although he incorrectly stated the Fibonacci Sequence in my section, I still thought it was very impressive that I was able to get Fibonacci discussed in an article about NASCAR!”

Carl Edwards, one of the most popular drivers in the sport, read the article and liked Fisher’s thoughts.

“He personally called me to chat with me about my comments and invited me to come out and join him for a race this season,” Fisher said. “He ended up giving me two of his personal pit passes that he only uses for friends and family so I could attend the Quaker State 400 race in Sparta, Kentucky on June 28th.  I was able to meet him and watch a NASCAR race from a perspective that many fans only dream of!”