- EDL Graduate Student Handbook – valuable information about your program of study in the Department of Educational Leadership Studies
- EDL on Tumblr – bookmark for news that’s important to graduate students in the program
- EDL on Twitter – follow our department on Twitter for important news and events you may not learn of elsewhere
- EDL on Google+ – Please +1 our page and follow posts from faculty, colleagues and other figures in educational leadership
- Graduate School Listserv – The Graduate School sends out reminders about important dates such as that for applying to graduate as well as information that is relevant to you as a graduate student.
- Department Listservs – There are also several listservs that are program specific. “EDLDOCTORAL” is for doc students. “EDLMED” is for masters and education specialist, and “EDLTEACHLEAD” is for those in the teacher leadership program.
New Student Information
- Course List – Get course advice and download a copy of your program plan.
- Link Blue – UK’s online data management system for students and employees
- Free Software Downloads – Free access for UK students
- University of Kentucky Academic Calendar – Know all deadlines for your program
- College of Education Library
- Students: How to email to your Professor, employer, and professional peers
- 18 Etiquette Tips for E-mailing Your Professor
- Department Presentation Scholarship
- Current Educational Leadership Studies Assistantships – When available, departmental teaching assistantships and research assistantships will be listed here. Unfortunately, none specific to EDL are available at this time.
- College of Education Graduate Student Support – links to scholarships, assistantships and fellowships, job opportunities, tuition waivers for cooperating teachers, and professional travel support.
- Tuition Waivers for Career and Tech Teachers – Do you believe you qualify for a tuition waiver for career and tech teachers which entitles you to 6 credit per semester at any state institution? Students who qualify should complete the Non UK EEP form.
- Funding is available for travel. The application deadline the 15th of every month.
- Student Funding site – UK Graduate School
Navigating Your Graduate School Experience
- Resources For Grad Students – from the UK Graduate School
- Tutorial on how to organize your citations and reference material – including directly importing into EndNote from online repositories. By one of our students, Kevin Dunn.
- Tips on library access
- EndNote and a primer on Dropbox.
Resources for the Dissertation
- Department Guidelines
- Recommended Books
- University Guidelines
- University of Kentucky: Official Guide on the Preparation of Theses and Dissertations
- Electronic Thesis and Dissertation submission guide – Simple and easy to follow, this will save you much stress and worry as you work to finalize their degree.
- Site created especially to help students find the right ETD collections for their submissions
- Doctoral degree candidate form
- Masters & Specialist degree forms
- All other current forms for students
Leaves of Absence
Effective fall 2009, if you are an enrolled graduate student at the University of Kentucky and you sit out for one or more semesters you will need to complete a new application and pay the application fee in order to be considered for readmission. In many instances you can avoid this requirement by requesting a “leave of absence”. In addition to avoiding the application process, this status will allow you to priority register in preparation for your return.
Procedurally, you should contact your Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) to seek approval for the leave prior to the beginning of the semester in question*.
- Ed.D. and Ed.S. and M.Ed. and Graduate Certificate students contact Dr. John Nash.
- Ph.D. students contact Dr. Rob Shapiro.
If approved, the DGS will contact your Graduate School admissions officer who will modify your record accordingly. IMPORTANT: You may request no more than two consecutive and four total semesters in leave of absence status. Post-qualifying doctoral students are not eligible for the leave of absence.
International students considering a leave of absence are strongly encouraged to discuss their plans with the UK International Center (formerly the Office of International Affairs), Department of Immigration Services prior to making a formal request.
*Post baccalaureate students who need to request a leave of absence should contact their admissions officer directly.
Distance Learning Resources
Adobe Connect Weekly Training
Regular training sessions are offered for students to familiarize themselves with Adobe Connect once a week. These training sessions are held online via Adobe Connect for a more hands on approach and students should feel free to visit these sessions any time during the two hour block to tailor their training needs. Visit Distance Learning Programs for more information.
Headsets for Video and Audio Conferences Online; Distance Learning Sessions
Preferences on headsets are as myriad as there are people and devices. Here are a few you might consider.
- On The Go – Cell Phone/iPad: For mobile telephones with a headphone jack, or for an iPad, the JLab Diego In-Ear Earbud headphones with Universal Mic are good quality for the money. The microphone also works on the single headphone/mic jack on the Macbook Air.
- Wireless Headset: For your desktop computer, the Logitech Wireless Headset (H760) With Behind-the-head Design is a good choice, with good quality sound and the convenience of being wireless. They are a little pricey compared to other models, however Professors Richardson and Nash have these and can recommend them.
- Wired Headset: The Logitech ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset (H390), are more budget-minded.
International students are attracted to the Department of Educational Leadership studies because of its standing in the field and the opportunity to work with nationally and internationally recognized scholars. EDL provides an opportunity for students to participate in on-going research and development projects that make their learning an exceptional experience. Faculty are committed to providing all students with opportunities to engage in a full range of scholarly work that supports achieving their long-term, professional goals.
International graduate students wanting to be in residence on campus during the academic year will be required to apply for admission and a United States Student Visa. Those wishing to enroll in EDL’s distance learning program will only be required to complete the University of Kentucky and the EDL applications for admission. Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies about the international student admissions process.
Are applicants required to have experience as an educational leader to study educational leadership at the PhD level?
Experience as a leader in an educational enterprise, such as primary, middle or secondary schooling is preferred. Applicants interested in higher education administration who have had leadership or administrative experience are preferred.
Are applicants required to hold a masters degree in the same major to be admitted?
No, however your background and experiences should be a logical fit for the program.
Does our department accept international students in our program?
Does our department offer conditional admission for doctoral students?
Conditional admission is offered only on a case by case basis.
How many doctoral students join our program each year?
Over the few two years we have admitted approximately 10-15 doctoral student per year.
When can applicants begin an application?
Anytime. Please visit the Admissions page for more information.
How long is the admission process once an applicant completes their application?
Decisions are made on a rolling basis and with the last application decisions made by June of each year. International student decisions are often earlier than that. Visit our Admissions page for information on special deadlines for international students. Please also research the Graduate School’s admission policy.